Monday, August 23, 2010

Do you remember the time, when we fell in love?

So, I've moved back home to Atlanta. I stopped posting the last few months at the Bier Markt because wwell...it just got to be too silly to even post. Being yelled at for not bringing people drinks in the middle of the dance floor at 1:55. Excuse me drunk ass, last call is in 5 minutes and I'm not fighting these assholes to drink you your shitty vodka soda for no tips.
So, now that I am home and have been out of the serving game for an ENTIRE MONTH I'm starting to go through server withdrawal. I had two interviews at fine dining joints in Buckhead. Now, I have to say it's nice to have someone look at your resume and say you're qualified. I'm so old hat at server interviews I can make anything sound polished, my answers are now on auto pilot. Why do I have no wine knowledge? You can't say "Well because I've managed to never learn about wine because I just don't give a damn. I know what I like and don't give a rat's ass out this vintage or that. I can tell you how to get cheap red wine out of sand colored carpet while not legal to drive." That answer won't pass any interview, albeit truthful. Instead you say something like "Well, that's an excellent question. You see in Canada the beer market is quite small, the available beers are controlled by a liquor board. If you want something new you're forced to go to a restaurant that specializes in imports. Instead of wine I learned how to describe the complexity of beer, the flavor profile, where it came from, the history of the brewery. Just like beer, I can learn about wine quickly." Sounds good right? Total bullshit, but it sounds good. That is all that truly matters in serving, look good, sound good and make it through your shift.
I've been hired at two restaurants I just have to choose one. This isn't the time to be picky, but it kind of is. I have that old familiar feeling that every new serving job brings, the hopefulness that THIS place will be the hospitality utopia. The place where your schedule is the perfect blend of doubles and days off, where no one messes with you,it's slam packed every night, everyone knows their job and the managers aren't homicidal monkeys in pants. One place is a celebrity chef restaurant with fusion cuisine and a very very polished post modern dining room. I have to say, it looks enchanting. The other place is a corporate owned french restaurant, the reviews are not so great for it and although the interior is enchanting the servers have to wear vests. I for one think vests are the epitome of homosexuality and I've avoided them at all costs. We'll see how these turn out, I'm broke and I need a job. It's not a family restaurant so that's a start.

2 comments:

  1. "Not monkeys in pants" pretty much sums up 85% of every restaurant manager I have ever had. I laughed my ass off - nice.

    And vests aren't so bad if you have a few white shirts that don't look so hot - they cover up a lot of sins - and if iron your own shirts there is that much less to iron. Always a bright side.

    Good luck [my vote, for what is worth, is the first one] SkippyMom

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was my thinking exactly. I only have stained white shirts as I have a giant hole in my chin, or I am that clumsy while eating.

    ReplyDelete